Sunday, March 13, 2011

OPPORTUNITIES


Almost 50 years later from those hot summer play days in Cavanaugh, I finally had the opportunity to visit the Cavanaugh Mound. The opportunity lended itself through an email from a friend asking for volunteers to help clean up the site which is now in disrepair. The U of A Fort Smith Research Station, Arkansas Archaeological Survey is spear-heading the movement to restore/preserve the area and to date the site from its beginning. There were plenty of jobs for everyone, from cutting down trees with chainsaws, snipping old barb wire, and cutting through overgrown brush! While spending this past Saturday morning clearing out an area of overgrowth I felt like I had to be having more fun than anyone in Fort Smith. I had always been so curious about this mysterious mound and now here I was! I can't wait to see what mysteries continue to unfold as the archaeological surveyors continue their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment